2015 Centennial House Awards

 139 Grove Lane - current
2015 Centennial House Award
139 Grove Lane

This historic home, with beautiful views of the Lake Minnetonka, is frequently referred as simply:  “the Amy Davies” home. 
Amy Davies was the granddaughter of John Stevens Harrington, who was one of the original settlers of the Harrington/Ferndale area of Wayzata.  Her father was the one who originally built the home, gifting it to his daughter, Amy, when she married John Milton Davies.  The Davies had 2 daughters – Rhoda Mary and Sally Jane.  Mrs. Davies was the organist for the Wayzata Congregational Church, but she also played piano for the silent movies that were shown on the first floor of the Odd Fellows Hall, located at 326 Broadway Ave. S, which now houses American Family Insurance.  Mr. Davies preceded his wife in death and eventually Mrs. Davies built a smaller home next door to live in, while she rented out this one.
Subsequent owners included Jack & June Allen and Jeff & Cheryl Holmes, who current owner Kathy Grendahl purchased it from in 1993.  At that time, a beauty salon operated out of the basement and there was a separate basement entrance for customers.  When Ms. Grendahl purchased the home, she decided to close off the basement entrance, and her neighbor was disappointed to learn that she could no longer walk next door to have her hair done. 
In his assessment of Wayzata homes and buildings, historian Robert Vogel noted this four-square style suburban cottage as both architecturally and historically significant, because of its retained historic integrity and association with the early Ferndale subdivision.
In the last 20 years, a number of remodeling projects have taken place, including both a kitchen and powder room addition, a deck, new garage, and in 1995, a second floor bathroom remodel, new windows throughout and updating of the exterior siding.  While updating to add some more modern amenities and comforts, Ms. Grendahl has preserved many original aspects of the home, like the hardwood floors, doors, door knobs and the beautiful leaded glass windows that look out to lake.
The house remains a prominent and historic representation of “old” Wayzata.  Here to receive the Centennial House award for 139 Grove Lane is owner Kathy Grendahl.

Ankeny house on Harrington Road IMG_8392 photo by jason jenkins 
2015 Centennial House Award
553 Harrington Road

This home on Harrington Road is a large 2-story Neoclassical Revival Style with a U-shaped plan.  The U faces the lakeside.  It was built by Franklin Crosby on the foundation of an earlier house which burned in 1914.  This was on Point Lookout.  Franklin Muzzy Crosby and Harriet McKnight Crosby had 7 children.  All children and household staff escaped the fire which was caused by a faulty gas cylinder being installed for their new gas stove.  Neither Father nor Mother Crosby was home at the time of the fire, and by the time they arrived home all was gone. The volunteer fire department arrived soon after. 
Franklin set about to rebuild, and he did so with thick, fireproof, concrete walls.  By 1915 they had a new home. The architects were Hewitt and Brown of Minneapolis.  Here is a lakeside view with Mother Crosby frolicking on the lawn with her children.  Franklin Crosby was the 2nd son of John Crosby III, who, after emigrating from Bangor, Maine to join his friend, Cadwallader Washburn, founded the Washburn, Crosby  and Co. in 1877 – now better known as General Mills.  After graduating from Yale, Franklin joined this father’s company at the bottom - sweeping floors.   He quickly moved up and eventually became one of the foremost grain buyers in the business. One landmark on the Harrington Road property is a millstone from the Washburn Crosby Mill embedded in the lakeside lawn.
This home and its predecessor, the White house, was their summer home on Lake Minnetonka.  Winters were spent at their town home at 2120 Park Av.  Often in the winter they came out to ski and toboggan at their Cris-Cros Farm.  The present owners, Margaret and DeWalt Ankeny’s were gracious hosts to our HPB tour of the house in 2014 even inviting us to share the view and lemonade on the patio.  They are, if not related, friends of the Crosby families.  The Ankeny’s removed the 3rd floor, survived a major fire in 1981, added dining nook, redid the kitchen 4 times, added accessibility features such as elevator, patio doors and bath tubs to showers.
The home itself is gracious by its nature.  The living room is renowned for its exceptional acoustics – perfect for a musical evening.  Vern Sutton of the Minnesota Opera interrupted his performance to announce how he loved the acoustics and the view and suggested to those who needed performance space to, “Look to this room”.    The Franklin Crosby’s had both died of strokes in 1946 and ’49.  The Sumner Crosby family (one of the sons) remained there until 1960.  Jim and Barbara Bennett lived in the house from then until 1968 with their 6 children.  Margaret and DeWalt Ankeny have been there for 45 years – raising their 5 children.  Clearly for the last hundred years it has been a homestead for large and active families.

138 Broadway (2)
 2015 Centennial House Award
138 Broadway Ave. N.

This home was built in 1914 and received an addition to the back during the 1950s. Several notable Wayzata residents occupied the home prior to 1989, when it was purchased by Bill and Joan Malikowski:  Andrew and Hildegard Johnson, Fred Patch, local home builder, and Alfred and Crystal Deschneau.
The Malikowski’s have updated the home's interior during their tenure. Over the years they have added molding and fixtures appropriate to the period, including a clawfoot tub and a sink with sculpted porcelain legs. They also added a custom bed tucked under the roof line with pull out drawers below. Passers-by will notice the extensive exterior plantings. The garden on the boulevard and front yard draws old and new neighbors for impromptu gatherings.
The Malikowski family considers themselves fortunate to have lived in this wonderful neighborhood. Their neighborhood has been home to five to seven fire families at any given time and the school bus was frequently delayed by responding fire fighters! Bill just retired from the Wayzata Fire Department after twenty years of service. The neighborhood has served as an extended family for all of the kids, not only providing additional sets of eyes for their safety but also participating in other family's activities, sporting events, birthday parties, etc.  Sleepovers are common.
The neighborhood is ground zero for the Wayzata Kiddy Parade. Adults (and children) raised in Wayzata will often reminisce about their parade experiences. One of the neighbors was in New York City last year on business for Wells Fargo, and their contact knew someone else in the office was from Wayzata. When they went to find them, the first question from the former resident was “Do they still have that little kids parade?”
Wayzata is full of unique homes, extraordinary citizens and engaging community events. 138 Broadway and the Malikowski’s are exemplary representatives of our fair City.

717 Wayzata Blvd
2015 Centennial House Award
717 Wayzata Blvd.

Celebrating 100 years is 717 Wayzata Blvd, a vernacular bungalow, built by Fredrick Patch in 1915. Patch was paid to tear down a mansion out on Ferndale and he salvaged many of its’ items, including the lumber, intricate doorknobs, leaded glass windows, and much of the woodwork throughout the mansion. He used the salvaged materials to build 717 Wayzata Blvd, as well as several other homes in town. The original garage out behind this home was a carriage house, complete with a very large oval window that was also salvaged from the same Ferndale Mansion.
Fredrick Patch lived in the home for quite some time, as his grandson, John Patch remembers visiting his grandparents there. John Patch’s father was born in this home. It’s owners have changed hands a number of times—with most recent records indicating that Ames and Kay Johnson lived there for some time until they sold it to Frank Ogoniak, a Wayzata barber, and his wife Arline, in 1964. Current owners, Duane and Janet Christianson, have lived in it for 43 years, having purchased the home in 1972.
General upkeep has included the removal of several sickened trees on the property, new windows and siding in 1974, and in 1981, with the roof caving in and significant leaking, the carriage house came down and in its place now stands a 3-car garage. The original oval carriage house window is still preserved in the Christianson’s basement. Janet discovered 1920 Minneapolis Journal newspapers crumpled up in the upstairs attic, used as added insulation, and she has preserved several of them as treasured memorabilia from her beloved home.  Janet and Duane feel that some of their home’s most treasured assets include the ornate and detailed bronze, brass, and glass doorknobs throughout the home, each one unique.
Receiving their Centennial Award in honor of their well-preserved 100 year old home are Duane and Janet Christianson.