PLATFORM TENNIS FOR WAYZATA?
The City Council has given tentative conditional approval to add two platform tennis courts to Wayzata's park activities next year. Platform tennis is an outdoor sport played with a paddle. It is derived from tennis and racquetball. It offers healthy, vigorous outdoor exercise year-round, and it is gaining popularity around the country.
The Parks and Trails Board is working with a group of local platform tennis enthusiasts who are proposing to raise half the estimated $250,000 cost of two courts, including screening, heaters, lights, warming house, viewing deck, and social gathering space with fire pit. Dedicated park funds would provide the other half, if the City Council agrees to proceed with the plan. Before making its decision, the Council wants to determine residents’ level of interest in adding this new activity and park facility. The Parks and Trails Board will have information about the proposed platform tennis facility at our booth during James J. Hill Days, and Wayzata residents will have an opportunity to ask questions and share their opinions at the booth. Meanwhile, here are some things you should know about our platform tennis plan:
- The plan, structure, location and details are subject to City Council final approval.
- The Parks and Trails Board is recommending locating the two courts at Klapprich Park.
- The courts would be heated and lighted for winter play.
- They could include a small warming house and fire pit.
- We envision this as a fun family place to gather and be active, especially in winter.
- To learn more about the game, check out a 5-minute video clip at www.platformtennis.org/videos/APTA_platform_tennis_video.htm.
If you have questions or comments about this proposed addition to our parks, please send them to WayzataPT@gmail.com
. And, please stop by our booth at James J. Hill Days.