The City of Wayzata is actively seeking paid-on-call Firefighters. Wayzata is a premier suburb located 11 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. With a population of 4,500 people, Wayzata is a tight-knit community which is known for its vibrant downtown and picturesque setting on Lake Minnetonka. A popular destination for visitors, Wayzata’s downtown is home to a number of specialty shops, boutiques, professional services, and restaurants. Wayzata’s business districts and residential neighborhoods provide a significant tax base for this unique small town community.
The City of Wayzata is seeking paid-on-call Firefighters to provide fire suppression activities, rescue, hazardous material, and emergency medical services.
• be at least 18 years old
• be a high school graduate or equivalent
• have a valid Minnesota Driver’s License (with a good driving record)
• live or work within 10 minutes of the fire station
• be available for a reasonable number of fire calls, drills and meetings
- 50% of training
- 50% of meetings
- 25% of emergency calls
- Firefighter I & II Fire Service Certification
- Hazardous Materials – Operational Level
- First Responder to Emergency Medical Incidents
• $11.59 per hour for calls, trainings and meetings
• $15,000 Basic Life Insurance paid by City
• Members of the Wayzata Fire Department must also be members of the Wayzata Fire Relief Association, which handles the pension plan (based on defined yearly contributions) for firefighters
- When firefighters leave the fire department, the pension is payable as a lump sum at the minimum age of 50
- Firefighters are vested after 10 years of service at 50%
- Firefighters who retire after 20 years of service receive a 100% service pension.
- Firefighters who choose to leave the fire department after 10 years of service will receive 50% of their pension
- Firefighters who stay longer than 10 years but leave before 20, receive a pension that is prorated per year, up to 20 years of service (example 11 years=55%, 12 years=60%, 13 years=65%, etc.)
For complete information on the position, please see the job description and Firefighter requirements linked below.
Completed applications can be sent to: City of Wayzata, Human Resources, 600 Rice Street East, Wayzata, MN 55391 or firstname.lastname@example.org.