Community Development Director
The City of Wayzata is now accepting employment applications for the position of Community Development Director.
Wayzata is a premier suburb located 11 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. With a population of 4,500 people, Wayzata is a tight-knit community which is known for its vibrant downtown and picturesque setting on Lake Minnetonka. A popular destination for visitors, Wayzata’s downtown is home to a number of specialty shops, boutiques, professional services, and restaurants. Wayzata’s business districts and residential neighborhoods provide a significant tax base for this unique small town community.
The Community Development Director position is an opportunity to be part of a fast evolving organization and community that balances small town charm with market forces of a premier destination on Lake Minnetonka only 15 minutes away from Minneapolis. Current initiatives include:
- Lake Effect Initiative;
- Approval and implementation of the City’s 2040 Comprehensive Plan;
- Approval and implementation of Parks and Trails Master Plan;
- Adoption of a sustainability commission; and
- Thoughtful planning of impactful redevelopment projects.
The Community Development Director is a full time position that is responsible for developing, directing, and providing ongoing leadership and supervision in the planning, building, economic development, and historic preservation functions of the City. Proactively and cohesively lead the department’s many facets in alignment with the City’s strategic plan and best practices. This position will work collaboratively with staff among all departments, advisory commissions, and the public to develop effective working relationships. This position will assist the City Manager in the administration and implementation of City policies, communication plans, projects, and other programs.
- Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Geography, Public Administration, Landscape Architecture or a related field.
- Five (5) years of experience in community development, and/or urban planning.
- Possession of a valid MN driver's license.
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Geography, Public Administration, Landscape Architecture or a related field.
- Experience in economic development and redevelopment.
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Experience with waterfront/lakefront development.
For complete information on the position, please see the attached job description. The 2019 salary range is $91,318.17 to $117,409.09, depending on qualifications, along with excellent benefits.
Completed applications are due by April 26 no later than 4:00 pm. All submissions require a cover letter, resume, and city application. Direct correspondence to City of Wayzata, Human Resources, 600 Rice Street East, Wayzata, MN 55391 or email to email@example.com.